Since going back to the gym I’ve been sticking to eating healthy, making sure I get the right amount of carbohydrates, protien, calories etc. I know a lot of people who eat healthy keep their food very basic and the same and seriously what is the fun in that. It’s good to keep a variety of food so you can get the minerals and vitamins etc from different sources, plus the same food can get a bit boring, eg: instead of having chicken all the time switch it up with fish or meat. Also for sides, your going to have your veggies, cook them in different ways, steam cooks, roast, mashed potatoes (sweet).
A few weeks ago I posted a picture on Instagram of one of my meals which was steamed salmon and rice, and the amount of people I had asking me how I made it etc, I thought why not just do a post since it is to do with health and fitness anyways.
On my Instagram photo I had the salmon with rice and peppers through it, this time I’m having mashed potato and carrots and peppers. If you want to know how I made this delicious meal then read on…
This recipe will do two fillets of salmon, that weigh approx 140grams each. 140grams of salmon fillet contains 27grams of protein, 291 calories.
I usually prepare this in the morning and have it at lunch or prepare it at lunch and have it at night.
2 green chillies
3 garlic gloves
3 spring onions
Small handfull basil leaves
Small handfull mint leaves
Small handfull chives
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp chillie flakes
1. First thing you want to do is put the basil, mint, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin seeds, chillie flakes and the juice of half a lemon into a bowl and get your handle blender out and blend all these ingredients together till it forms a slightly runny paste. You can also use a normal blender, hand blender is easier for me. Once that’s blended your going to want to marinate your salmon fillets for 1-2 hours. (Stab the fillets slightly so the flavours can get into the salmon)
2. Once the salmon is flavouring you can then prepare your veggies. Slice your tomato, onion, spring onion and half your lemon and chop up the chives.
3. Since you chopped up your onion into slices, take half of the slices onions and caramelise them, I like to use a knob of butter and olive oil but you just keep it to olive oil if you like, I personally like that buttery taste to it.
4. Once the fish has marinated your going to get a sheet of foil and place one fillet on top with some of the paste and add your veggies. First put the caramelised onions on top then add the onions that haven’t been fried, this is nice because your going to have crunch and the caramelised taste. Then add your sliced tomato on the side, lemon on top and then the spring onions & chives. Once everything’s added on top wrap it up in the foil, making sure it’s proper sealed so there’s no way for any air to get in. Do the same process with the other fillet.
5. Finally add a small amount of water into a pot around 1-2 inches in height, the water is going to cause the steam to happen. Then add your packages into the pot, put the heat on low, pop the lid on so the fish can steam cook. This will take 20-25 mins.
6. Meanwhile the fish is cooking you can prepare your sides, mashed potato, veggies, roast potatoes, rice anything you want. Once it’s all cooked plate it up and enjoy!
Anyways it may seem like a long process but it is really not, it’s quick and easy. Hope you enjoy it!